Passports, IDs & Documents

As an AdventureSmith traveler, your Adventure Specialist will send you final instructions for your adventure trip, expedition cruise or small ship cruise approximately two weeks prior to departure to ensure the most up-to-date travel information. This includes a final itinerary with local emergency contact information, arrival information and final reminders. Tickets, vouchers or travel documents are not typically required for our trips but may also be included at this time.

Be sure to keep passports (or other identification), plane tickets and other travel documents on your person in carry-on bags. Never pack these in your checked luggage. Some travelers will make a copy of important documents to pack in their checked luggage.

Passports & IDs for Travel

For international trips, we recommend traveling with a passport that is valid for at least six months after your dates of travel, since many countries require this. For domestic trips that take place entirely within the United States, a driver’s license or valid government issued ID is required. Plan to use the same ID you use on your airplane flight. Ships are required to keep manifests and traveler names must match their identification upon boarding. Please check with an embassy for entry requirements for citizens of other countries. Check your passport or ID at the time of booking your trip. If it is set to expire, begin the renewal process right away.

Passport Renewal Options

Passports can take three or more months to be renewed. Most U.S. travelers renew their passports at their local post office or through the U.S. Department of State. Through either avenue, you can apply for a passport, renew by mail, replace a lost or stolen passport, or update your passport information.

While AdventureSmith Explorations always recommends that travelers obtain passports and visas from the appropriate government consular agency well before travel, it sometimes makes sense to expedite the process when booking last-minute travel. There are a host of internet-based providers of these expediting services, but travelers should always be wary of unrealistic offers and use an established company such as CIBT Visas.

A Special Note about Driver’s Licenses as Travel IDs

Beginning May 7, 2025, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States. Travelers will continue to need a valid passport for international travel.

test message
View Wishlist